Getting Traffic to your New Website
Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Ask, and nearly all of the legitimate crawlers on the Web will follow the
instructions you set out in the robots.txtfile. Commands in robots.txtare primarily used to
prevent spiders from accessing pages and subfolders on a site, though they have other options
as well. Note that subdomains require their own robots.txtfiles, as do files that reside on an
The PageRank of the home page of the site providing the link. Note that Google does not
publish a site’s PageRank, just the PageRank for individual pages. It is common among
SEO practitioners to use the home page of a site as a proxy for the site’s overall PageRank,
since a site’s home page typically garners the most links. You can also use the Domain
mozRank from SEOmoz’s Linkscape tool to get a third-party approximation of domain
1. Write and submit articles to the article directories.
2. Leave comments on other people’s blogs with a backlink to your site.
3. Answer people’s questions on www dot answers dotyahoo.com.
4. Post in forums and have a link to your site in your signature.
5. Write a press release and submit it to www dot PRWeb dot com.
6. Advertise your website in the appropriate category on www dot CraigsList dot com.
7. Give an unbiased testimonial on a product/service that you have used in exchange for a backlink to
8. Start a blog and submit it to the 100’s of free blog directories.
9. Manually submit your website to the major searchengines.
10. Optimize each page of your website for a particular keyword or search phrase.
11. Add a link in your email signature to your website. It’s a free and easy way to get a little more
12. Make a custom 404 error page for your website redirecting people to your home page.
13. Use PPC search engine advertising.
14. Add a bookmark this site link to your webpages.
15. Have a tell-a-friend form on your site.
16. Send articles to ezine publishers that includesa link to your website.
17. Hold a crazy content and make it go viral.
18. Give away a freebie (ebook, report, e-course) to keep people coming back to your site.
19. Add an RSS feed to your blog.
20. Submit your site to any related niche directories on the net.
21. Participate in a banner or link exchange program.
22. Create a software program and give it away for free.
23. Purchase the misspellings or variations of yourdomain name, or those of your competitors.
24. Buy a domain name related to your niche that isalready receiving traffic and forward it to your site.
25. Pass out business cards with your domain on them everywhere you go.
26. Start and affiliate program and let your affiliates send you visitors.
27. Start a page on social bookmarking sites such as www dot MySpace dot com.
28. Submit a viral video to www dot YouTube dot com
29. Conduct and publish surveys to your website.
30. Find joint venture partners that will send you traffic.
31. Start your own newsletter or ezine.
32. Use a autoresponder or email campaign to keep people coming back to your site.
33. Purchase ads on other sites.
34. Send a free copy of your product to other site owners in exchange for a product review.
35. Sell or place classified ads on www dot eBay dot com with a link to your site.
36. Post free classified ads on any of the sites that allow them with a link to your site.
37. Exchange reciprocal links with other related websites.
38. Network with other people at seminars or other live events.
39. Purchase advertising in popular newsletters or ezines.
40. Advertise on other product’s thank you pages.
41. Create a free ebook and list in on the free ebook sites.
42. Buy and use a memorable domain name.
43. Do something controversial.
44. Create an Amazon profile and submit reviews forbooks and other products that you have read.
45. Start a lens on www dot Squidoo dot com.
46. Use a traffic exchange (low quality traffic, but can sometimes be worthwhile).
47. Get referrals form similar but non-competing sites.
48. Create and sell a product with resell or giveaway rights and include a link to your site in it o others
pass it around for you.
49. Email your list. If you don’t have one, get one.